CEOs have a lot on their plate in terms of running a business. Not only must they have the ability to run a business, but they also need to be able to inspire their employees, investors, customers, clients and the community around them. When the CEO is at an event, their presence should be known. They should not only retain trust for the present product, they should also share their vision moving forward to inspire people to stick with the company. This is called “working the room.”
Below are 6 essential tips for a CEO at their next corporate event.
1) Show that you appreciate your guests – As a CEO, you should make it apparent that you appreciate the guest’s attendance. Don’t be shy to express your gratitude towards their loyalty to the brand, and that you hope to continue working with them. These events are a great way to speak with your clients in a non-formal setting and develop work relationships.
2) Make every guest feel important – People love to feel important. Make sure all of your guests understand their importance in the construct of the company as a way of thanking them for their loyalty. This creates a sense of community and allows for a more human element in the corporate world. If you can connect with your corporate community on a social level, connecting with them in a work environment will make things easier.
3) Balance entertainment and information – When speaking to a large group of people, it is important not only to be seen as trying to persuade or lecture them with facts and numbers. It is vital to entertain the crowd and reach them on a deeper level. People who are seen as commodities and assets will not respond as well as if they were treated like people. Tell some jokes and don’t be afraid to make fun of yourself a little.
4) Share real stories – When someone is telling a personal story, people tend to listen more than they do to facts and numbers. These stories add another human element to the equation, potentially resonating with others in the audience. Your corporate community wants to see more out of you than just a figurehead who built a company. They want to see that you have the sort of empathy and human qualities to make them trust you and feel taken care of.
5) Demonstrate your commitment, passion, and vision for your business – Along with entertaining the crowd, it is vital for a CEO to keep his goals in mind and demonstrate to his guests his passion and vision for the company. Passion and inspiration are tough to fake, so if you are not passionate about your company, it will show. Tell others why you would do anything for your business and how far you will go to protect it. It is important to articulate this clearly to make people feel your energy and look within themselves. The passion that you demonstrate for your business will evolve into trust from the people around you.
6) Inspire – One of the main responsibilities of a CEO is to be able to authentically deliver their corporate message and vision for the future. People are always looking towards the future, and how they can be taken care of in the future. This is vital to understand, since if you can inspire others in your vision, people’s strongest anxiety will be calmed and their trust will completely fall onto you. Be a visionary and look far into the future, and convince people that your business will make an impact in the world.